Thursday, April 15, 2010

Being Sick....


No one enjoys being sick, at least I don't think? But I've had "that bug" a lot recently and it's started me wondering if perhaps I'm not taking care of myself right. While sitting at the doctor today, waiting to be told "oh everyone has it, try this antibiotic." I saw a health show they had on their television. Now as God would have it, this is the second time I've seen this show (been there a little too often over the last few months), but this time I really started listening. Here's a few key things they mentioned and if there are any other women who aren't taking the best care of themselves, perhaps we can learn together.

1. Drink lots of water - half your body weight in ounces - at least 64oz - if you're thirsty, you're already dehydrated.

2. Sleep at least 8-9 hours a night (not possible for most moms, but at least it's a goal someday)

3. Exercise regularly, but don't overdo it while trying to make up for lost time. (walk the dog, or the kids, or your spouse or just yourself on a lunch break)

4. Eat more raw vegis and fruits (summer has all kinds of yummy fruits)

5. Consider a multivitamin (I've heard women can benefit from prenatal vitamins even if you're not pregnant)

So here's what I've decided....

1. I drink a lot of water, but I'm going to start carrying a water bottle so I make sure I'm drinking enough.

2. I'll continue to try convincing my husband to take advantage of our sleep before we have kids (although my dog has been waking up every morning at 3:30 or 5:30 - come on Lord, really??).

3. I'll set a goal of at least a 20 minute walk everyday... it's a start right?

4. We've been eating fresh fruit every night for dessert - one orange, a banana and some strawberries is more than enough for 2 people. I'm also trying to have at least one fresh veggie and or a salad with dinner.

5. I have vitamins, I just need to start remembering to take them! I'm going to try sticking them in a pretty box on the kitchen table so I'll remember! And I'll have my husband do the same, maybe we'll start a routine!

How am I going to do all this??? I'm going to start a calender chart where every day I check off that I've completed my daily commitment. At least it's something to hold me accountable and I'm going to ask my husband to help me stay committed.

At this point, the idea of not being sick every 2 months is motivation enough!

1 comment:

Monique said...

You can do it!! :)