Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Getting Ready....

My husband said to me once when I was going through a difficult time, "God doesn't give you anything you can't handle." At the time I didn't think this was true, but have come to understand that it really is. When I had my first baby, Tony, I felt I wasn't ready for motherhood and that I didn't prepare enough during my pregnancy, but I soon found out that I really didn't need to. I learned how to be a mother in my own way and with help from the Blessed Mother. I gave my baby whatever he needed, he always came first. A friend of mine had her baby boy a month before Tony and she came to visit when Tony was one month old. When she left I was dumbfounded by her knowledge of what her son needed at any given time; whether he needed to be changed or burped or fed she knew her son so well and I felt that I didn't know Tony very well! I thought that maybe she was just guessing, but then a month later I found myself knowing what Tony needed all the time. It was amazing. My husband would ask what Tony needed when he was crying and I knew based on the time of day it was or his schedule and I even amazed my husband sometimes by my knowledge of our sons' needs.

When I had my second son, John Paul, I felt completely different, mentally, than with Tony. I actually felt ready, like being a mother and wife was really what God planned for me. I remember in the hospital after John Paul was born feeling so....normal. It was like he had always been with me. Once we brought him home the feeling changed a little while trying to adapt to having two babies and not one. Now, more than a year later, everything the two boys do is new and exciting and our life is crazy sometimes but I wouldn't want it any other way.

We have a third baby coming in August and I have to admit I am a little nervous about having three. It is hard going to the grocery store with a one year old in the cart seat and a 2 1/2 year old in the cart throwing everything out of the cart but where does the third baby go? Is my double stroller going to turn into a 3 baby stroller like I have heard happens (one in each of the seats and a third in the basket underneath)? Mass is a whole other issue. Right now my husband and I go in shifts and only go as a family when there is a special occasion, but those special occasions will be tough when we are outnumbered especially if the church doesn't have a cry room. These are only a few challenges that lie ahead but I feel that with humility, lots of patience, prayer and God's grace I will be able to pull through. After all God does't give you anything you can't handle....right?

As far as getting ready for the dress dare goes I am excited that I can wear non-maternity skirts. Pregnant ladies out there in need of skirts I highly recommend the Old Navy roll over jersey skirts. They have maternity ones also, but the regular ones fit fine with a belly and are really comfy to wear. God Bless everyone and have a good week.

2 comments:

Apple Jacs said...

Thank you for your beautiful example of openness to life and trust in God's will, and your husband's leadership. I just recently saw a cool thing that could work as a perfect addition to your double stroller. It's a universal board for the oldest to ride on.

Here are the links to check them out:
http://www.lascal.se/web/products_start.aspx

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Litaf-E-Z-Step-Universal-Stroller-Wheel-Board/14061437

You may even be able to find some on craigslist for cheaper.

Chantal said...

Cookie your trust in God's providence and witness to His love are such inspirations to me! Thank you!