Thursday, April 22, 2010

Hug Your Father Day

I'd like to propose a holiday and I selfishly choose April 22nd for it to be celebrated (as founder of this holiday, I guess I have that right). Today is the fifth anniversary of my father's death and the eighth anniversary of his father's death. I'd like to call April 22nd from now on "Hug Your Father Day".

Today, I encourage you to give your dad a hug. If you can't hug your dad today, then tell him you love him. In my family, saying "I love you" is always foreign and awkward (we're not "lovey-dovey" with each other), but I'd give anything for the chance to do it now.

My dad died of stage four pancreatic cancer. He was not a likely candidate for it and died shortly after his fiftieth birthday. He was a quiet, intelligent man whose hobbies included reading, gardening, sports and running.

If you have a garden, tend to it today in memory of him. And eat well, because you want to live years beyond age fifty.

If you're reading a good book right now, enjoy it and put it down after the end of the chapter so that you can spend time with your family.

If you like to run for exercise, maintain your discipline and get screened for cancer yearly. Your health is well worth it.

And if you like sports, watch some hockey today in memory of him, enjoy the fun moments in life with loved ones and try not to take life too seriously all the time.

It's probably human nature for us to not fully appreciate what we have until it's gone, but nonetheless, give your dad a hug for me, because I'd love to have that opportunity.

Be blessed.

4 comments:

CourtneyV said...

I'm off to tend to my tomato plants in honor of your father. Thank you for the reminder to cherish our families

Apple Jacs said...

Thank you for this reminder. Offering prayers for your dad today.

Little Monkey said...

Going to hug my daddy right now. I huge him every day because I can not imagine my life without him. I am sure your daddy is hugging you from heaven Kat and looking down so proud of you.

Andi said...

Great idea for a holiday! :) Wish I could give my dad a belated Hug Your Dad Day Hug.