Thursday, April 22, 2010

My Grocery Deals. Com



I just heard about a wonderful website to help all of us save money on food while still feeling like we're "treating" ourselves! If you're anything like me I have my staple must-haves on my grocery list: bread, milk, cheese, tortillas, salad, turkey meat... etc. and everything else I buy, I try to get on sale or buy the store brand. Sometimes I feel like my shopping gets pretty bland - boy would I love to throw a filet mignon in that basket, but I'd also like to pay my electic bill! I've recently noticed the "special" meat section. This is the area where they put the food that will expire if not used of frozen by a certain date - there are quite a lot of cheap treats in there and I throw them in the freezer when I get home! That's how sometimes we get steak or last night we had a wonderful marinated whole chicken normally at least $10 on sale for $4. Enough chicken to last my husband and I for two meals - chicken, stuffing and vegis last night and chicken tacos tonight for $4!!!


So onto the promised website: Mygrocerydeals.com allows you to enter your zip code and find grocery deals at a lot of the local grocery stores. The website even categorizes the food, so you can compare all the "pork roasts" on sale... then if that's not great enough it lets you make your own grocery list where it tells the location and price of your item! I just found the website so I'm looking forward to using it next week.


Also, I just heard you should try to shop around for store deals as much as you can, if time allows, and it shouldn't waste too much gas but the savings should really add up!

2 comments:

Jaunebug said...

Thanks for the website!

Must say that shopping for food deals is a passion of my husband's. He looks through those throw away mailers that the stores put out to get you in the door. And when he finds a good deal goes and buys *tons* of it.

"Do you still have london broil for $1.99? Yes, I'd like 25 lbs of it. Thanks."

You do drive around for that great deal, but the key is to buy so much at one time that you are not having to constantly go shopping. The other key is to have a big extra freezer to put all this stuff in. (Ours is currently in our bedroom - one of the reasons we're looking to move...)

As a result, we can have great meals for pretty cheap, and invite tons of people over without having to go to the store.

Carrie said...

Court, have you guys seen www.kitchenstewardship.com? A friend of mine runs this blog dedicated to combining economical housekeeping with doing this as ecologically friendly and kid-safe-chemical-free as possible, all while being wholeheartedly Catholic! She has some great ideas for frugal shopping, see for example this post on buying reduced produce - when it's a good idea and when it's not: http://www.kitchenstewardship.com/2009/03/20/a-reduced-produce-primer/.

My personal favorite frugal meat tip: buy the whole chicken. It'll last you several meals, and then the carcass is perfect for making broth, which is way easy - just boil up the carcass with some onion, carrot, celery and a few spices, and you're there! After a good boil you'll get the nutrients from the bones as well as free up a bunch of meat you can now pull off and use for tacos or casseroles.

Hope you guys are doing well!