Friday, April 30, 2010

True Freedom

While I was making dinner this evening, my curious toddler began hovering near the heated oven.  I grabbed him immediately, made eye contact and firmly told him "No." This resulted in a flood of tears and resistance, most commonly known to parents as a dreaded tantrum.  I often feel frustrated because it seems as though I am constantly saying "No" these days.  My little guy recently began walking, and with this new freedom he is more and more able to explore his boundaries.  It is challenging to explain to a one-year-old why he cannot touch a hot oven; even if I could, it is likely that he would not understand.  He is not yet rational enough to know that my preventing him from touching the oven is a loving boundary, to protect him from hurting himself. 

Religion is often seen by critics as a set of old-fashioned rules; Thou shall not ____.  Especially during our youth, culture teaches us that it is OK to experiment with our new freedom and do whatever we please.  What authority does religion have over me?  Just like toddlers, what we often fail to remember is that our loving Father established the Church, and He knows what is best for us, even if we do not fully understand.  I did not say "No" to my son to make him miserable, but because I love him deeply and care for his well-being.  Similarly, not having sex outside of marriage is not a "rule" that God made simply to make life more difficult for us.  Rather, chastity and purity are wonderful virtues that protect our hearts and free us from painful heartbreak and attachment to broken relationships. 

In John 8:31-32, "Jesus then said to the Jews who had believed in him, 'If you continue in my word, you are truly my disciples, and you will know the truth, and the truth will make you free.'"  But what is this the freedom that Jesus is referring to?  Jesus is saying that in knowing Him, the Christ himself, we will be free.  His truth will liberate us from the illusions of this world and the slavery of sin.  Just as a child who finally trusts that touching a burning oven will cause pain, we will know that the Church and her teachings are a beautiful blessing from our Father; meant to guide us, protect us and provide meaning to our lives.  We are deeply loved, and as Christians, we can find nothing but joy and liberation in this.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I just found this blog...and I really like it.