Wednesday, April 14, 2010

What I've Learned

It is difficult to believe that my son is almost 1 year old. I feel quite accomplished. Victorious. Ok, amazed. It has been the most challenging and humbling year, yet also the most blessed and rewarding. Nobody could have prepared me for the difficulties I would encounter, the many (many) tears I would cry or the sleep I would yearn for. But then again, nobody could have prepared me for the intense love, joy and wholeness that motherhood would bring me.

I have learned so much in just 12-months. Just to name a few...


Simplify. The simpler, the better.

Things said at 3AM need not, and should not count against you.

Parenting is not like college- The baby books do not have all (or any) of the answers.

Parenting is 24/7. I heard this several times before he was born, but you really have to experience it for yourself to understand.

Sleep is overrated (yet so wonderful). You can get by on very little.

Grandmothers are blessings.

Your marriage is the priority, and it must be nurtured every day.

Parent on your knees. Pray, pray and pray some more.

It is OK to order take-out, just to avoid doing the dishes.

There is no sound more beautiful than the sweet belly-filled giggles of your little one.

Being able to pee with the bathroom door closed is a luxury.

Sleep is a luxury.

Don't judge other parents, or criticize parenting philosophies. You will end up trying them out at some point.

A baby's smile makes everything better, even during an apocalypse.

It takes a village to raise a child. Don't be afraid to ask for help. (I'm still working on this one.)

Girlfriends are important. Especially girlfriends with babies.

Being able to nurse a baby to sleep is a superpower.

Don't take yourself too seriously. Learn to let things go.

Babies smell really good. REALLY good.

Being "stay-at-home" doesn't mean you have more free time than 9-5ers. Moms feel proud if they can squeeze a shower into their day.

A glass of wine can help.

Your baby is his/her own person. You can love, guide, teach, nurture, protect-- but you cannot control him/her.

Parenthood is God's greatest blessing. Nothing else compares.


We made it! It can't get any crazier than the first year, can it?

3 comments:

Courtney said...

That was beautiful - thank you for sharing your lessons of motherhood with us!

Apple Jacs said...

Couldn't agree more! Just sub coffee in for wine. Still don't like the taste, but my espresso machine has never been more invaluable than since I've had Mina. And YES, GRANDMA's ARE INVALUABLE!

June said...

Happy Birthday Dominic! Can't believe it has been a year. I remember waiting for Michaels' text messages that day and night to hear word of his arrive. In answer to your last comment of the blog...it does get crazier....but it is SOOOOOOO much fun! Just wait until he can say "NO" to you!