Wednesday, September 25, 2013

a child's trust

I am so grateful to be the primary "caretaker" for my children.  Spending day in and out with them gives us the time we need to bond, the time I need to guide them, and surprisingly it I provides me with countless of opportunities to learn.

I am often struck by how carefree children are.  I have a strong melancholic temperament, and tend to spend (too) many hours anxious and worried.  But not my beautiful children. They do not worried that they will be fed, clothed, diapered, loved and cared for.  They do not spend wasted time worrying about their education, their health, or finances.  They trust their parents, and are learning to trust in God.  It is no wonder that children are closest to heaven!

Without a childlike trust, it is impossible to believe in God's providence.  It is impossible to hope that no matter what happens, we will be given the graces to pull through it.

Christ teaches us to "Look at the birds of the air:  they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns and yet your heavenly Father feeds them.  Are you not of more value than they?... Therefore do not be anxious, saying 'What shall we eat?' or 'What shall we drink?' or 'What shall we wear?' For the Gentiles seek all these things; and your heavenly Father knows that you need them all.  But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all of these things shall be yours as well" (Matthew 6: 26-33).

God promises that through prayer and work, we will be taken care of.  If we call of Him, he will answer.  And by praying and trusting our Lord, I will continue to be an example to my children of how they can learn to trust in him.

Praise God for the beautiful example of children to help lead me towards this point of complete trust.  Motherhood is truly my vocation!




No comments: